Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Pharisees are alive and well and they work in my company`s IT department

posted Sat, 14 Aug 2004

I am still livid about that jerk Buck confiscating my computer. He was so sanctimonious: “This is a corporate asset that must be deployed appropriately.” When I said the company had intended to discard that computer, he told me there was a company that bought all our old computers. I went online and did some research. Amazingly, there is not a huge resale market for IBM thinkpads that are six years old. What a surprise.

Indeed, I found that Dell Computer offers a service where they will discard a company’s old computers. The company PAYS Dell to get rid of them. According to the Dell website, “in general, used computer equipment over three years old has little or no resale value.”

So my company will have to pay to get rid of this computer. If I had been able to keep it, the company would pay nothing and my productivity would be enhanced.

Now I am trying to figure out if Buck is just stupid and doesn’t understand the spirit of the company plan to replace all the IBMs with Dells (to get everyone on a common platform with the latest technology TO ENHANCE PRODUCTIVITY) or if he is mean. On Monday, I plan to find him and ask him those questions.

In the meantime, I will tote my new work Dell home occasionally, but if I don’t post on a weekend or some evening, you will know it’s not that I have abandoned you, dear reader, but that I didn’t want to go through the hassle of closing down and disconnecting everything at work and then setting everything up again at home.

Oh – I forgot to mention the worst thing about all of this. I realized last night that the reason I wasn’t able to connect with the IBM was that I had forgotten to switch the dialup connector from LAN to modem. It wasn’t even really sick. I was just an idiot.

I did learn something useful last night. Another advantage to gas stoves is that when you are boiling milk to make yogurt, if you forget you are doing so and the milk boils over, it douses the flame, so the milk doesn’t burn. What alerts you to the situation is the smell of gas.

No comments:

Post a Comment