Sunday, September 27, 2009

Private Benjamin

posted Mon, 23 Aug 2004

Here are some random things that crossed my mind at lunch.

There is a story in the latest issue of Latina magazine about a young woman who joined the Army and was sent to Iraq, where she was injured.

I am not even going to go into the pros and cons of having 90-lb 20-year-old women in the Army, except to say that the mission of the military is to defend the US and I don’t see a petite girl as having a role to play in any sort of combat. I will also say that I do not believe the military should serve as a testing lab for social experiments.

But that’s not what I want to talk about. This poor girl was injured and still might lose her foot, which is sad no matter what.

But in the story, she says that she didn’t think she would be sent to war – that she joined so she could go to college.

Excuse me. Since when has it been a big secret that the ARMY SENDS PEOPLE TO WAR? The fact that you might have to be shot at as part of your job description if you are in the military should not be a surprise to anyone above the age of, oh, say TEN, in this country.

A completely different subject. My neighbor had hip replacement surgery two years ago. He has since recovered completely and is biking and skating and doing all sorts of other things that require a pretty high level of physical agility.

Yet he still keeps his ‘handicapped’ placard hanging from his rear-view mirror.

I find that just a little bit unethical.

OK, I find it a lot unethical.

Back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment