Saturday, October 24, 2009

The fourth big lie

posted Fri, 22 Oct 2004

What to wear to Aimee and Allen’s Halloween party tomorrow night? Last year I wore a bridesmaid dress. It wasn’t a bridesmaid dress I had actually worn as a bridesmaid, so I did not get to actually “wear it again” as you are always promised.

I don’t know anyone who has ever gotten to wear a bridesmaid dress again. Bridesmaid dresses look like what they are: bridesmaid dresses. And the only occasions that call for bridesmaid dresses are weddings.

My friends all tried really hard to find dresses that could be used again. But there is only so much that can be done. Actually, I don’t know that Anita tried that hard. She taught me the bridesmaid theory. The whole idea, she said nonchalantly, is to make the bride look good. And you do that by making the bridesmaids look – not so good. She actually didn’t say it that nicely.

In her defense, she was willing to let us have the red strapless cocktail dresses, but there were none available.

Instead, I have had to wear lavender for every wedding I have been in save one. For Becky’s wedding, we wore very pretty teal brocade gowns. They actually probably could have passed muster at a Christmas party somewhere, but I left for Chile and the Peace Corps two weeks after her wedding, so I didn’t have much opportunity to use the dress.

Back to lavender. I look awful in lavender. But that is what I have had to wear. For Aimee and Allen’s party, I got this Vera Wang lavender gown at the Junior League Thrift Shop for five dollars. The cut was fabulous but the color was putrid. However, someone, for once, actually did get to wear that darn bridesmaid dress again.

A few years ago, I pinned a Q-tip to a blue dress and went as a White House intern.

Tomorrow, I think I might wear a new cocktail dress I got at the League shop along with my great pink shoes. It is more a summer outfit, but technically, it would be a costume. I could be all dressed up with nowhere to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment