Tuesday, October 20, 2009

It`s not brain surgery

posted Sun, 17 Oct 2004

Don’t buy the Haynes Automotive Repair Manual.

Here is how they explain how to replace the door handle on a ’94 Toyota Corolla. (The plastic broke, leaving me with about an inch – an angry inch – with which to open the door from the inside.)

1. Remove the retaining screw (see illustration)
2. Pull the handle free, disconnect the link from the inside handle control and remove the handle from the door (see illustration)
3. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Without looking at the book, I managed to get to the middle of step 2. It was disconnecting the link that was troublesome. I don’t need an illustration of how to unscrew a Phillip’s head screw. Really. I am quite capable of figuring that out, thank you very much. I also don’t need an illustration showing me how to pull the handle free.

Where I need the help is in how to disconnect the link – help in the parts where you can’t actually see all the pieces because you can’t contort your body that way.

If Haynes wrote medical manuals, they would describe a heart transplant like this:

1. Cut open chest.
2. Remove old heart.
3. Installation is the reverse of removal.

No comments:

Post a Comment