posted Mon, 20 Sep 2004
I forgot to mention a few things in my post yesterday.
Remember that I am using an Italian keyboard. Forgive any typos, please.
* 'L&D' is labor and delivery.
* The reason it's so maddening that the politicians come to Sigonella for a few minutes on 'official business' and then stay at the $600 per night hotel is not just that they fly over in Air Force Two and bring their wives but also that instead of staying for free at the base quarters, they stay at the $600 per night hotel in Taormina.
* Military personnel in Sicily are not allowed to wear their uniforms off base -- too dangerous for them.
* Colleen's house number -- 250A Via Strada Whatevera -- is also the number for another house. It took her six weeks to get her phone installed because the phone guy kept going to the other 250 Via Strada Whatever. Apparently, the Sicilians number their houses the way the M'town library numbers its books. Yes, there are numbers, but they really don't mean anything.
* The Italian pharmacies will not sell codeine over the counter. I tried. I was informed that 'stupeficante' drugs require prescriptions.
* There were sweatshirts in the market that proclaimed 'California and Arkansas' and 'Ohio and Alaska.' I still haven't figured that one out.
The end of the line
2 years ago