Monday, October 5, 2009

Voulez-vous couchez avec moi?

posted Sat, 11 Sep 2004

When I was telling the story about the TJMaxx guy to Harpo last night (before the absolutely ridiculous ticket), I said, “It was such a non-sequiter! To go from talking about pants-attacking fleece blankets that leave fuzz all over your clothes to ‘strikingly beautiful.’”

“No, it wasn’t,” he answered.

“What?” I asked.

“It’s not a non sequiter. It’s exactly what every guy thinks every time he sees a woman: ‘Would I or wouldn’t I?’ Most men don’t usually say anything out loud is all.”

His explanation made me think about my friend “P” at work. P told me that this guy she had met motorcycle riding had called her, asked her to dinner, picked her up, and tried to pay for dinner (she never lets guys pay, which I think is ridiculous). The part that shocked her was when he kissed her goodnight.

“I didn’t think it was a date!” she said in complete astonishment.

“He asked you out. He picked you up. He tried to pay. What about that is not a date to you?” I asked.

“I thought he was interested in being friends,” she answered.

I called in my office neighbor, a married guy. “Do single straight men hang out with women they want to be ‘just friends’ with?” I asked. I didn’t give him any of the background.

His answer was swift and sure. “No!” he laughed.

“Would you say that if a single, straight guy tried to spend time with a woman that it would mean that he was interested in more than ‘just friends?’”

“Absolutely.”

I turned to P. “I rest my case,” I said. “You’d think a 43-year old woman would know better!”

No comments:

Post a Comment