Tuesday, November 17, 2009

And why not a bowl of water for the seeing eye dog?

posted Fri, 10 Dec 2004

I think I’ve mentioned this before, but it continues to bug me. I dropped some books off at the library this morning on the way to work. Why on earth is there a Braille translation of the words “book drop” on the drive-through book drop? (I assume that's what it says -- I don't read Braille.)

I asked a library employee about it once. (I am not going to call her a librarian, because to me, a librarian is someone who is passionate about books and who understands why they are numbered – that is, so that they are put in numerical order so people can find them, not so that they are put in their own little subject islands that have nothing to do with the numbers.)

But I digress. Anyhow, this library employee was standing by the book drop outside, smoking a cigarette. I asked her why the Braille translation was there.

She looked surprised. “For when the blind people drop off their books,” she answered. I promise I am not making this up.

I just looked at her. My God. My tax dollars are being wasted on unnecessary Braille translations and on hiring complete idiots

No comments:

Post a Comment