Saturday, November 28, 2009

Can we really have peace in the Middle East?

posted Thu, 30 Dec 2004

Here is my dilemma: Do I tattle on my across-the-street neighbors? They are really starting to get on my nerves.

Here is their transgression: they never take their trash can in from the sidewalk.

It looks bad. I am the one who has to see it every time I walk out of my house and whenever I sit on my front porch.

It is only a matter of time. The big, noisy dogs are next, and then the mullets.
Source: http://www.vintagebus.com/gallery/image/467.JPG

Admittedly, much of the time, the view is blocked by one of the five, yes five vehicles they own. There are two of them – neighbors, I mean. And five big old vehicles.

No, I don’t know why they have so many cars and trucks. They are just ugly. Not antique. Not particularly valuable in any way.

I don’t really care that they own five big, ugly vehicles except it means that there is never any room to park by their house, so when their many friends come over, they all park in front of my house.

That means there is nowhere for my friends to park. (If you want to get Harpo going, ask him about parking at my house.)

They are a young couple – they must be the only ones who actually own a house and everyone hangs out there. Maybe they rent, though – that would explain their apparent indifference to property values.

Back to the trash can. It is city ordinance that trash cans not be put out on the sidewalk until after 5:00 p.m. the night before the trash is collected. They must be removed from the sidewalk by the next day after the trash is collected.

My neighbors’ trash can has been out for, oh, nine months now.

I have played nice. Twice, I have asked the neighborhood association to write them a gentle letter explaining how the property values of our lovely homes are diminished by trash cans left on the sidewalks all the time. (It is also against city ordinance to have major appliances on the front porch or in the yard and to park your car in the yard. Fortunately, they have not violated these rules. Yet.)

But I think it’s time to take off the gloves. It’s time to report them to the city and let them be fined. That might get their attention.

Yes, I realize there might be an intermediate step here – that I might actually talk to them about this issue.

Right. Would you do it?

I didn’t think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment