Thursday, November 26, 2009

Daddy`s little girl

posted Sun, 26 Dec 2004

So I’m standing in line behind a FedEx pilot at the Fawlty Airlines gate in Atlanta, where I am hoping to be moved from the 2:45 flight to M’town to the 12:25 one. The FedEx pilot is hoping to get the jumpseat – he commutes from St Petersburg, where he lives, to M’town, where he works.

He told me that he had just had his first Christmas off in four years. I told him that Harpo and I were talking about which businesses were open last night and who had to work on Christmas as we drove from Miami back to the Keys. We saw open gas stations, drugstores – and a strip joint. “All the essential industries,” I said dryly.

The pilot said, “I don’t tell this to many people, but my daughter is an exotic dancer in California.”

Just exactly how is one supposed to respond to such a statement?

Harpo assures me it is not the way I did, which was to say, “I’ll bet that’s not what you wanted for her when she was a little girl.”

“Why didn’t you just say, ‘Yeah, you probably didn’t want your daughter to grow up to be a slut?’” Harpo asked when I told him.

I think if he opened the subject, it was fair game.

But all the pilot did when I made the comment was shrug and say that kids go their own way when they are grown.

Right.

Later, I saw him playing solitaire on his laptop. He didn’t have the game opened full screen, so a lot of his screen saver was visible. It was three photos of the same very busty, very scantily-clad young woman. I really hope it wasn’t his daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment