Monday, November 30, 2009

The day of living dangerously

My married life isn't much different from my single life except now I have company while I do these things.

posted Sat, 01 Jan 2005

I am on my third diet Coke of the day.

Yes, I am living on the edge. Party girl, that’s me.

This is the price I pay for staying up so late last night. I didn’t get to bed until 11:30 because I watched Harpo’s band perform for a while. (They are so good.) I took a nap yesterday afternoon, but it wasn’t enough to overcome my complete inability to stay up late.

Actually, it’s not the staying up so much that bothers me, it’s the fact that no matter what time I get to bed, I wake when the sun comes up, which, at this time of the year, is about 6:45. I need nine hours of sleep and I need most of it between 9:00 p.m and 5:00 a.m.

As you might imagine, New Year’s Eve is not one of my favorite holidays. It involves so many things I don’t like: staying up late, crowds, and drinking. This is actually the first New Year’s Eve in years that I have done anything to celebrate. If Harpo’s band hadn’t been playing, I suspect we would have rented some movies and ordered a pizza. And not stayed up late.

It’s been a nice, quiet day today, though. I ran/walked eight miles, then did laundry, cleaned the bathroom (I never realized that washing temporary hair dye out of the hair leaves a shower looking as if someone has been stabbed in it), made vichyssoise from the leeks I got earlier in the week thinking I needed them for the minestrone I made the other night, made an eggplant parmagiana for Stephen and Leigh, who just had a baby two weeks ago, and sorted through my Christmas cards.

I am going to listen to Prairie Home Companion while I fold my clean clothes, then go to bed. My married friends with children think I lead such a glamorous life.

No comments:

Post a Comment