Saturday, November 14, 2009

Going to the crossroads -- or sort of near there, anyhow

posted Sat, 04 Dec 2004

The bad news is that Harpo and I only got to watch one of the two movies I picked up at the library this afternoon (“Nurse Betty” and “Nuns on the Run.”) The good news is that the band playing before Harpo’s band at BB King’s tonight cancelled. It was going to be really hard for me to get to a show that started at 10:30 at night. It’s not so much that I am not a late-night person – although I am not – as that I wake up when the sun comes up (6:30 this time of year) no matter what time I go to bed.

Harpo and the Snake Docs are being paid to play at one of the meccas of the blues! The Snake Docs play both kinds of music: rhythm and blues.
Source: http://www.roamingtimes.com/travel/images/Memphis-Beale-Street.jpg

What that means is that if I stay out late, I get only a little bit of sleep – and I do not function well on only a little bit of sleep. As a matter of fact, I get really miserable without enough sleep. Harpo is a great guy, but I am not willing to make that great a sacrifice for him.

The Snake Docs (don’t even ask about the name) are starting at 8:30. I will go listen to them play for a little bit. I had planned to wear what I am wearing now – jeans and a sweater and no makeup – but then I thought that for the BB King’s debut, I should dress up. I decided to wear my black leather miniskirt (five dollars at the Junior League thrift shop!) and my black leather boots.

I realized, though, that the black tights I wear with the outfit (all one time I have worn it) were in one of the five bags of stuff I dropped off at Catholic Charities yesterday. So I will have to wear regular pantyhose (on a weekend), which will ruin the line of leg and make my legs look fat. Oh well. Or, tante pis, as the French say.

I also have to put on some makeup, which is something I don’t like to do even on work days, but it’s part of the uniform. Harpo, you owe me.

I’ve been to BB King’s before. It’s a good place to hear music because they start bands at 6:00 p.m., so if you don’t like to stay out late you can still hear good music.

It’s also really fun to people watch. I know that I will never be mistaken for a fashion plate, but I haven't made the mistake of going in public in overalls for over 25 years. I did have some in high school, which horrified my mother. “We used to wear those in the barn,” she told me, appalled. And I have never gone out without my teeth. (OK, yes, I know that was mean.)

Full report tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment