Friday, November 27, 2009

Let them eat snow

posted Tue, 28 Dec 2004

And already the whining has begun. What is wrong with the people who run this city, anyhow, that there is STILL ice on the roads? Why, it’s already been five days since the sleet and ice storm left the equivalent of 15 inches of snow on the streets, only we went straight to ice, which, if you have ever observed solid ice versus snow, melts a lot slower than snow. A lot slower. Why haven’t they FIXED this?

I am the first one to complain about the elected officials who govern the fair city of M’town, but this is an area where they do not deserve the criticism they are getting.

If we lived in a city where snow and ice storms occurred frequently – like, more frequently than maybe once a year, I would be right there with the whiners. But for crying out loud. This is only the fourth time in five years we have had icy roads. I really don’t think it’s a good use of our already strained tax monies to buy snow and ice removal equipment.

So two or three days a year, we can’t drive or, if we do, we have to drive very slowly and very carefully. Big deal. Even under these conditions, traffic in M’town moves faster than normal traffic in Miami.

I have yet to miss a day of work here because of weather. I have, however, gladly used the bad roads as an excuse to leave early – “Oh, I don’t want to get caught on these icy roads after dark” – but even that’s a big fat lie because I drive to the gym on those very same icy roads at 5:30 a.m. Course, I am almost alone on the road at that time, so don’t have to worry about other drivers, but my jefe doesn’t need to know that.

What bugs me about the snow and ice here is that I can’t walk on it. I don’t have the right equipment. I can drive OK as long as I go very, very slowly, but walking on ice is a different matter. It’s hard enough in flat shoes, but high heels? Forget it! The only way it worked today was that the ice had started to melt a little bit, so I was able to use my spiked heel as a crampon. Thank goodness those chunky heels aren’t in style any more or I would have been slipping and sliding all over the place.

I could buy some swanky snow boots, but really, would it be worth the investment? Already today it got up to 58. Most of the roads are clear. The parking lots should be clear by tomorrow afternoon. I would get to use said boots maybe once a year. Not a good investment. Better just to walk very carefully the few days I need to.

Same thing with the city and snow and ice removal. We’re not in Canada. This is not normal weather for us. If we were to buy snow removal equipment to handle storms of this magnitude, it would cost at least hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions. This is a city that already has big budget shortfalls. Our schools stink. The roads are already bad. And people think we need to waste money on snowplows?

No comments:

Post a Comment