Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Too much nonsense

posted Sat, 11 Dec 2004

As part of my new initiative not to be a miser, I was in TJ Maxx last night buying nice pantyhose. I have decided it’s worth it to spend a little more to get the nice stuff as opposed to the cheap stuff from Walgreen’s. Not five dollars a pair more, but a dollar or two more at TJ Maxx prices.

So what color would Beyonce wear? Even I don’t wear “nude.”
Source: http://thesquealer.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/destinyschild2.jpg

Don’t worry. I’m not going crazy on this spending money thing. A friend at work looked at my ten year old Corolla once and asked curiously why I didn’t have a BMW or a Lexus as my peers do. “Because my car is paid for and it runs!” I answered. Sheesh. Like I would buy a new car just to have a particular brand? Nope. I’ve heard of people getting 250,000 miles out of Corollas. That means I still have 142,000 to go, which is about ten years. That’s fine with me. I have a mortgage to pay off.

Back to TJ Maxx. I am looking at the pantyhose, seeking my size and a color that will look good on my skin. Now, if you have been reading my site for more than about say, two days, you can probably guess that I am not someone who has a lot of patience for most PC thinking. But I have to agree with what I expect would be the PC position on this issue.

I pull out a package labeled “nude.” The hose are way lighter than my skin. I am Caucasian, of Norwegian-Flemish-French-German-Prussian-Slovak heritage (or so I am told). It takes about two seconds for me to tan to a very dark color and the tan does not fade quickly. So even I, a white chick, cannot really wear the “nude” hose.

There is a seventh-grade girl chatting with me. She is so cute. She has to sing a solo in her school performance and needs pantyhose. She is black. The nude hose won’t work for her, either.

When I was a kid, Crayola had a color called “flesh,” a peachy-pink color. It was a pretty big deal when they renamed that color, but they did the right thing. I never had the flesh crayon, I don’t think. I think that came in the 64-color pack, which we didn’t get. I’m over it now, of course. Completely over it.

[I just checked the Crayola website. They say they changed the color “flesh” to “peach” in 1962, which was before I was born, but I could have sworn I remembered seeing that crayon. Maybe the crayons we had in Spain in the late 60s were old stock.]

You’d think that someone in the pantyhose company marketing departments would figure out that there might be a better positioning strategy than naming a certain color “nude.” If I were black, I would be pretty annoyed – I don’t want to call it racism but it’s definite cluelessness. I sure wouldn’t buy pantyhose from that company.

No comments:

Post a Comment