Monday, November 2, 2009

We are shocked, shocked to find that you don’t want us to run your lives!

posted Sat, 06 Nov 2004

The way I read this article from The Guardian, a British newspaper, those of us who voted for Bush did so because we are too stupid to know better.

The writer of the article, Simon Schama, a history professor at Columbia, notes, “In Godly America the politics of impassioned conviction inevitably trumped the politics of logical argument. On CNN a fuming James Carville wondered out loud how a candidate declared by the voting public to have decisively won at least two of the three televised debates could have still been defeated.”

Source: http://tunadave.typepad.com/notes_from_the_cave/photos/rains.jpg

I am not sure, but Simon appears to be from Great Britain. It may be the case in his country that the winner of the debates wins the election, but in this country, the candidate with the beliefs that appeal to more voters wins the election. This was not a debate contest, after all. We are not in high school.

Back to us stupid voters. This is a constant theme with some liberals: that people don’t know what’s good for them, so the government should run their lives. Those who should do the running, of course, are the liberals. But they always seem to be so surprised that we don’t want them to run our lives!

I don’t presume to speak for the conservatives on this – I speak only for myself. But here is some of my philosophy of government.

• The less of it, the better
• There exists an objective morality.
• It is not the government’s right to tell me what to do with my body, my money, or my property – as long as what I am doing does not infringe on the rights of anyone else (and yes, that means legalizing drugs – if you want to ruin your own life and can do so without harming anyone else, go ahead).
• This means that if I want to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, I can do so – but if I get in an accident and have a million dollar head injury, I can’t expect the government (i.e., the rest of you taxpayers) to pick up the tab.
• If you accept the premise that life begins at conception, then abortion and fetal stem cell research are wrong.
• We have a moral obligation as a society to care for those who are truly incapable of caring for themselves. This group does not include those who have made stupid decisions.
• Quit taking my money to support those people who have made those stupid decisions.
• It is a ridiculous use of resources to make smoking illegal in New York bars and restaurants. Let the market make those decisions. I don’t go places where there is a lot of cigarette smoke because I don’t like cigarette smoke. I don’t need a law to keep people from smoking there – I just won’t go to that place.
• People are responsible for their own behavior and the consequences of those behaviors. If they smoke, drink, or overeat, that is their decision. Do not make those activities illegal. Do not allow them to sue the manufacturers of those products.

But then, what do I know? I voted for Bush. I’m too stupid to run my own life. I shouldn’t even be allowed to vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment