Tuesday, November 24, 2009

You`re a card -- you should be dealt with

posted Tue, 21 Dec 2004

I love getting Christmas cards. Even better, I love getting Christmas letters – even if they are form letters. Getting any bit of personal mail these days is such a treat that I will take whatever I can get.

This is the time of year when people start whining about Christmas letters. Oh, how can people be so mean and braggy by writing those horrible letters! They are just trying to make me feel bad! All they do is talk about the great things they have accomplished!

If you want to recycle your Christmas cards, you can turn them into ornaments. I am too lazy to do this. But perhaps you are not.
Source: http://www.royalcrafts.com/crafts/christmas_crafts/images/paper-garland/christmas-tree-paper-garland.jpg

Get over it! Good grief. I would assume that if someone is actually sending you a card and a letter that she is a friend. If so, aren’t you happy that things are going well in her life? And if the letter is a pack of lies, well, don’t you appreciate the fiction?

Do you really want a letter with the complete truth, anyhow? Do you want to know about the late nights at work or the sick kids or the fights with the husband or the trauma of dealing with the death of a parent?

I like – no, I love – getting letters. I relish the experience of finding the envelope waiting when I get home, opening it, and reading words that someone has written just for me. Or for me and 30 other friends. Even so, I feel privileged to get it.

I love having a piece of paper with happy words from a friend. I can put it in my purse and re-read it while I am standing in line at the grocery store (if I have already finished reading People magazine, that is) or while I am waiting at the doctor’s office (he doesn’t have People) or anywhere.

I love getting the photos of my friends’ children. They are all, without exception, gorgeous.

I even like getting emailed Christmas letters, although in the order of things, I like them not as much as I like paper letters.

There should be a big batch of letters and cards when I get home tonight, if everyone else did as I did and mailed theirs this weekend. I will take them on the plane with me tomorrow as I fly to Miami to meet Harpo and spend Christmas with his family. More news from the Keys once I arrive.

No comments:

Post a Comment