Monday, December 28, 2009

But I didn`t inhale

posted Sun, 06 Feb 2005

I have figured out what to do about the newspaper problem. I can’t put a vacation stop on the paper every Wednesday and Thursday – I’ve tried and they won’t let me. There is not a subscription option for just Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and the only other Sunday paper options around here are USA Today and The New York Times, neither of which I would ever pay for and neither of which I would read unless I were stuck on a plane without anything else to read and no one interesting sitting next to me.

You remember my gripe about the extra papers – in addition to having to slog through the wet yard after dark in my high heels to find them, my recycle bin fills too quickly and I must drag it to the curb more frequently.

Well. You don’t have to take the recycle bin to the curb if you put the papers into the huge wheeled trash can instead.

Yep. That’s what I did. I put the newspaper in the trash instead of recycling.

I know. I know. I am walking on the wrong side of morality here. My friend Jessica, the atheist UU seminarian, jokingly said that was about the only sin she could think of for Unitarians – not to recycle.

But I gotta tell you – it felt good to throw that newspaper in the trash can! It’s fun to flout convention! I can see why a life of crime would be seductive. It is liberating to take that first step on the road to rebellion. I recommend that everyone try it at least once – throw those newspapers into the trash instead of the recycling. Come on. Just try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment