Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I better not try snake handling -- my faith is just not strong enough

posted Wed, 09 Feb 2005

Apparently, the strategy I mentioned just last night of turning the radio volume up does not always cure a car.

Why, just this morning, my car refused to start.

Ingrate.

It was 5:30 a.m. I was ready to get to the pool and get a lane before the weird rabbi or any of the triathlon dilettantes showed up, but when I turned the key in the ignition, nothing happened.

That is such a rotten feeling.

I thought about going back to bed and trying again in a few hours, but then I got out my car binder and discovered it had been almost five years since Sears had last put in a five-year battery. Well. That might explain the slight hesitations the car had been having the past few days. Hesitations that I thought were solved by louder music.

I looked outside again to see if any of my neighbors were up. Nope. Rats. I would have to get Harpo, which I didn’t want to do, because he always goes to bed so late. I didn’t want to call him because he sleeps through the ringing phone, so thought I would try walking to his house. This would also give me some of the exercise I was going to miss by not walking.

I walked to his place – about a mile from mine – and amazingly enough, the doorbell woke him. We drove back to my house. We had to push my car out of the carport into the street because the jumper cables wouldn’t go from the front of his car over the back of mine to the front of mine.

My plan was to leave the car running then while I showered, but Harpo insisted on waiting in case the car didn’t last. I didn’t want him to do that, so I decided to go straight to Sears, hoping they might open at 7:00. There was no answer when I called – not even a message giving the hours, but I was hopeful that I might get a new battery early enough that I could still swim before work.

Ha.

Turns out they don’t open until 7:30. I sat in my car at the Diehard Express lane door from 6:50 until 7:35, which was when I finally went around to the front asking when they were opening already.

I griped at the guy about not being able to swim and being late for work and about the battery having 11 months on the warranty still and why wouldn’t the car start. I was a right pain in the neck.

So of course when the mechanic tested the battery, there was nothing wrong with it. It was corrosion in the battery cables, which he cleaned for free.

Basically, it was my fault for not maintaining my car properly.

(Actually, I blame this on my dad for being dead. Maintaining cars is a dad responsibility.)

Then I had to apologize to the clerk to whom I had been cranky, which put me in a worse mood. I drove to my gym, showered, dressed, and came to work. And have not been able to eat any chocolate to take the edge off my grouchiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment