Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Shadow knows

posted Fri, 04 Feb 2005

The real action in eBay happens in the last few minutes of the auction. This week, I was watching a cute pink suit. I had bid $11.72 on day two, but was outbid right away.

Last night, 20 minutes before the end of the auction, I decided to bid again. $17.87 was the highest I would go – the suit is mostly acrylic and I am a fabric snob. But for under $20, I will buy synthetics.

I entered my bid, thinking I had the suit, but ten seconds later, I was outbid. Too rich for my blood. I decided to forget it, although I was sorely tempted to try to push the price just a little higher.

Yes. This is the temptation that torments you when you start to play eBay. You decide that if you can’t have the item, whoever does get it is going to pay.

Not nice, I know. But I have never claimed to be a nice person.

The risk, of course, is that you will get the item, but pay a lot more for it than you wanted to pay.

So I pulled myself away from the computer and went to bed. I noticed this morning that the bidding got even more frenetic after I quit – the suit sold for $28, more than $10 higher than my high bid.

For acrylic.

Fools.

But the auction ends today for the gorgeous French wool and mohair suit. I will get that one. And I will pay more than $20 for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment