Sunday, January 31, 2010

The waiting is the hardest part

posted Tue, 14 Jun 2005

If any of you were ever to meet me in person, you would undoubtedly be very surprised to learn that I am a bossy control freak.

Yes, it’s true.

I couldn’t find any women dictators when I searched google! I asked my colleagues and all they could suggest was Evita Peron and Imelda Marcos. I pointed out that all their power was derivative. At least Imelda, poor homely thing, got some good shoes out of us UN contributors. There is no woman who has made it on her own as a true dictator. Where are those diversity programs when you really need them?
Source: http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/08/04/imelda,0.jpg

I like to be the one in charge, the one giving orders.

It just comes naturally to me. It’s a gift, really.

But not everyone appreciates this quality. I don’t know why, because usually, my way is best.

So I have been working on keeping the inner dictator in check. It’s one of the many self-improvement projects I am working on (on which I am working?).

I had a lunch date today – my second – with this guy who wanted to know if we could meet again this week for lunch. He will be out of town next week. I told him that unfortunately, I am already booked for lunch the rest of this week.

I waited for him to suggest an evening engagement, but the idea did not occur to him.

I tried to think of a way to prompt him, but "subtle" is not an adjective anyone thinks of when they think “Class Factotum.”

My usual MO would be to say, “How about supper on Saturday, then?” but I bit my tongue. I am supposed to let the man do the asking. The Rules said so.

Who writes this baloney? Patient people?

No comments:

Post a Comment