Wednesday, February 17, 2010

But he was being a jerk in Paris

posted Sat, 13 Aug 2005

Am I the only one who didn’t know that Paris is closed in August?

OK, not closed but pretty darn near? Half the shops had signs on them: “Closed until Sept 1.” (Only written in French, of course.)

The good thing about this is that with all the French gone from Paris is that there is almost no cigarette smoke in the city and no dog poop on the sidewalks. And the two mullet haircuts I saw on the Champs Elysees surely were being sported by tourists, not by Frenchmen, so I think it’s safe to say that they are not coming back into fashion.

I had my first bad experience with a Frenchman. Really. I’ve always found the French to be very nice. I’m going to attribute this experience to this guy being a jerk, not to the French national character. I stopped at a crepe stand. I wanted the three-cheese crepe. The guy put only two cheeses on it. When I pointed out the omission, he shrugged and told me that the crepe came with only two cheeses.

But the menu says three, I pointed out.

That’s just writing, he said.

So the price is just writing, too, I countered. It should cost less if there are not three cheeses.

If madame does not like, he shrugged, and he turned away to some seated customers.

I stood there for a second, then realized he was not going to come back to me.

Screw him! I walked away. What a jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment