Sunday, February 7, 2010

The case for marriage

posted Mon, 04 Jul 2005

I haven’t been able to understand how a financially independent woman past her childbearing years would benefit from marriage. What’s in it for her, really? More laundry? Cooking when she doesn’t feel like it? Fighting over the proper position of the toilet seat?

This morning, I figured it out.

I would be willing to do all the laundry, all the cooking, all the toilet seat adjusting for all of eternity if I would never, ever, ever again have to clean the hair from the drain in the tub.

That has got to be the most disgusting job in the world. I thought the super-duper chemical drain unclogger from Home Depot would take care of it, but no. Chemicals do not dissolve hair unless hair is on the head (and hair dissolving is not the desired result – it only happens when you don’t want it to happen – tricky that way).

I tried pulling the hair out with a stick, but you can’t get it with a stick.

You have to use your fingers.

Fortunately, I had some latex gloves left over from when I put insulation in my attic, but it did not make the job any less disgusting.

I would get married just not to have to do that again ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment