Friday, February 26, 2010

I`m a Theory X -- or is it Theory Y? -- kinda gal

posted Wed, 23 Nov 2005

How sad is this?

Last week, a guy in the IT help center, Mark, really helped me out of a jam. We were having a huge problem that was affecting the factories (as in they couldn’t take orders) and Mark is the one who figured it out and fixed it. It took him over six hours and he worked through lunch and late.

Then we had more big problems on Monday – and on Tuesday – and today. The guy I usually work with is out on medical leave until the end of the month, so Mark has had to learn a new system and then solve all these weird problems. He’s been great.

As is my wont, I sent Mark a little token of my appreciation. Yes, I know he is just doing his job, but people don’t work just for money. They also work for a sense of accomplishment and to be appreciated. It doesn’t hurt to thank someone for doing his job. I’m grateful for the hard work he did.

I didn’t think he would want a tiara, which is what I usually send the customer service reps as a reward for great work. I’ve met Mark in person and he didn’t strike me as the tiara-wearing type. So I FedEx’d him a small box of chocolates and a Blockbuster Video gift card along with a handwritten note telling him how much I appreciated what he had done.

He called me this morning to thank me.

He was astonished.

“No one does this!” he said.

“I do,” I said.

“No!” he insisted. “You don’t understand. No one has ever done this for me before. Ever. This is so nice. Thank you!”

He sighed. “I think they are getting rid of the wrong people.”

No comments:

Post a Comment