Friday, February 26, 2010

In which I drop the other shoe myself

posted Wed, 16 Nov 2005

Today, I withdrew my application for the job in the other division.

I had already checked with my HR guy to make sure that this would not affect my severance.

It took me a year and a half to find a job after I finished my stint in the Peace Corps. Despite five years in corporate America, an MBA from a top 20 school and great results with my Peace Corps project, I think recruiters saw “Peace Corps” and expected this. (And then I ended up in corporate finance. Ugh.)
Source: http://www.vesledaniel.no/Leiar/Training_03/Training03images/Small/2nd/Treehugger.jpg

I was completely straight with him. I told him that I did not want to work for Consolidated Buggy Whips any more and that I was afraid that despite my history of disastrous interviews, I would actually be offered this job. What could I do?

He told me he would call me back in a few minutes.

Three minutes later, he did just that. “Off the record,” he said, “withdraw your application. I’ll send you your paperwork today.”

Not a single person I have spoken to at CBW has said, “You’re making a big mistake by leaving! You should really try to get that other job. You’ll regret it!” Several people have said they envy me.

I will get 16 weeks of severance pay and full target bonus. That’s more bonus than anyone employed will get. The total comes out to about six months’ pay. My division has even cancelled the Christmas party. Does not bode well for annual bonus.

I don’t know what will happen to my stock options, but considering none of them are worth anything – not even a penny, I guess the point is moot. When I got my first set of options, my mom asked, “Why would you pay more to buy stock from the company when you could get it cheaper on the open market?”

Yeah, well, it’s not supposed to work that way.

I am pretty confident I will find another job soon and won’t suffer much in the process. The last time I was in this situation, after I had returned to the States from the Peace Corps, I didn’t have a place to live, I didn’t have any money, and my dad was dying from cancer. This time, I have a house that is close to paid for, I have plenty of money in the bank, and no one I love is even sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment