Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lie back and think of Morocco

posted Wed, 27 Jul 2005

I think I might actually get to Morocco tomorrow. Not sure, but I may have thwarted the vacation demon with a decoy. First of all, I have already (I hope) had my traditional vacation disaster. I was supposed to be going to Uzbekistan, but had to cancel that trip when the Peace Corps had to evacuate all the volunteers in that country and close the program. My friends Megan (who is a business officer for Peace Corps) and Steve, whom I was going to visit there, decamped to Morocco, so now I am going there instead.

For those who are unfamiliar with my recent vacation track record, here is a short history.

China spring 2003 – SARS
France Sept 15 2001 – Sept 11 2001
Nepal some year since then. My plane had a flat tire, which is a big deal. I ended up not going at all. There were small disasters before that that should have served as a warning but did I listen? No.

My decoy is that I got my tickets to Minneapolis today to go to my uncle Larry’s big annual fish fry at the lake somewhere in Wisconsin. The Bodacious Red-headed Pediatrician and the Cheese Guy are going with me. I took a chance and got tickets on Northwest Airlines, even though their mechanics are threatening to strike. Sort of a lightening rod to distract the demon.

I should be able to do some posting from Morocco, but don’t expect news every day.

Yes, I know this will be difficult for those of you who have come to expect your daily dose of the Class Factotum. I don’t know what to tell you but to be strong.

There is a chance that I might be kidnapped into white slavery while I am there.

Yes, it could happen, even though I am older than your average white slave. I look pretty good for 41, you know.

I look darn good for 41, actually. I don’t get up at 5 a.m. to let myself get bossed around by a Marine for my health. It’s all vanity.

I can think of worse things than being in a harem, actually.

Like working in A CUBICLE when you used to have an EIGHTH FLOOR WINDOW OFFICE.

In a harem, you’d get to spend most of your time hanging out with the girls, doing your nails, trying on each other’s clothes, maybe going to an aerobics class every now and then. Sort of like being in a sorority but without the hassle of school. Yes, there would be the hassle of you-know-what every now and then, but you’d get it over with and then back to the party! What’s not to like about it?

So if you don’t hear from me any more after this, that’s what happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment