Monday, February 22, 2010

Same planet, different worlds

Yes, yes, yes. I know I was AN IDIOT. I know, I know, I know. I IRONED HIS SHIRTS? Please.

posted Tue, 27 Sep 2005

We are staying in Salima’s apartment, which is nice because we do not have to go out to eat all the time (because we have a kitchen). There is a little grocery store just down the street and we have stocked up. Lots of bread and cheese, which is my usual fare when I am in Europe.

So after our first meal, Gomez and I cleared the table and did the dishes, which seemed very normal to me. But he laughed and said, “Oh, the things I do for you.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“At home, I never lift a glass or wash a dish. I pay people to do that for me. I have a maid who does that. I mean, I am not exploiting her; but…”

I shrugged. “If I were paying someone to do that work, I wouldn’t do it myself, either.”

The next day, I commented that we were going to need to vacuum because we had left bread crumbs on the floor. When I got out of the shower, Gomez was vacuuming. He shook his head and said, “My mother would not believe this!”

I am doing him the extreme favor of ironing his shirts. (I did tell him that when he visits me in the US, he should bring jeans and sweaters, not suits and ties.) Extreme because I don’t even iron for myself. I hate ironing that much. I just don’t buy clothes that need ironing. I told him I hate ironing and I am only doing this because I like him.

“But if I knew how to iron, I would iron for you,” he said. “You do it so well! It’s like you have a PhD in ironing! You iron better than my maid.”

“Gee, thanks. You don’t need to flatter me. I’ve already said I would do it,” I answered dryly. “By the way, most women don’t really want to be known for their ironing skills.”

He was genuinely puzzled. “But I think it’s nice that you can do things for yourself and don’t need other people to do things for you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment