Monday, March 22, 2010

The Best BF in the world -- he can fix things

posted Mon, 19 Jun 2006

SH wins the Best Boyfriend of the Year Award.

Our plane left Boston at 1:20 yesterday afternoon. We arrived at my house at 7:00 pm. I was bone tired because we had stayed up past midnight on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and then gotten up at the crack of dawn on Sunday so we could fit in some more sightseeing before we left. (Well, not really the crack of dawn as dawn is about 4:30 a.m. this time of year in Boston, but it might as well have been – 7:00 a.m. feels like the crack of dawn when you have been up until midnight the previous three nights)

Yes, it was my idea and SH was a great sport to go along with it. He is not an early riser. As a matter of fact, he was completely surprised that there was already a line at 9:00 a.m. at this breakfast place he’d read about. “I thought there wouldn’t be anyone up at 9:00!” he said in sincere surprise. Apparently, he is usually still asleep at 9:00 on Sunday. That makes sense, though, because I have gotten emails from him that he has sent at 4:30 a.m. on Sunday. (How will this relationship ever endure? you are asking yourselves. It’s not just their politics that are opposite but their hours.) So it didn’t occur to him that normal people are already up and moving by 9:00 a.m. Why, me, I’ve usually been up for at least two and a half hours by then, if not longer.

So. We got to my house at 7 and I was sleepy, sleepy, sleepy. I had planned to take SH’s car to boot camp this morning (remember we drove here from Indianapolis last week – SH is going to drive back to Milwaukee next week) because the battery on my car is dead. Sears has some scam going there, huh? Sure, they’ll pro-rate the cost of the new battery when your Diehard battery dies before five years, but it’s getting to be a bit of a hassle buying a new battery every three years. Not to mention not knowing where your battery is going to die. Fortunately, mine died at the body shop. They charged it for me, then it died again at my house, where I had SH’s car waiting.

I went to bed at 9:00. SH was working on some emails from work. When I woke up this morning at 5:40, I found a note: he told me that he had gone to Wal-Mart last night to buy a new battery and that my car was now running just fine.

Two things: the nearest Wal-Mart is 20 miles away and SH thinks Wal-Mart is the evil empire.

[Just goes to show you that when liberals compromise their principles, they improve their lives – they get better prices. And, as noted in Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy they also they avoid paying taxes on their estates, they educate their children in private schools, they avoid paying union and minimum wages. When conservatives compromise their principles, they hurt themselves: they do drugs, go to prostitutes, pose naked.]

So he went to Wal-Mart, the store he loves to hate, and drove a long way to do so. Then he stayed up late to install the new battery. He didn’t get to bed until after midnight.

All this to put a new battery in my car.

I think he deserves the Best Honey Award.

No comments:

Post a Comment