Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Cleanliness is next to very, very fussy

posted Tue, 22 Aug 2006

There are certain advantages to dating a detail-oriented engineer. At least the engineer I happen to be dating.

Serious Honey is about a gajillion times more fussy about housekeeping than I am, so I leave the cleaning to him. At least at his house. But even at my house, he’s very good at staying tidy. He doesn’t do it my way, but, as he just pointed out as he read this over my shoulder and rolled his eyes, saying, “I can’t believe you’re going to blog about this,” I don’t do things his way when I’m at his house. So I guess we’re even.

SH doesn’t like the pollen falling from the sunflowers onto the table and is making a pre-emptive strike by vacuuming the pollen from the flower before it can fall. I knew I was having success converting him from being a liberal!

I have to admit, though, I don’t see the purpose of rinsing the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. Tonight, after a wonderful meal of pork tenderloin, eggplant, peppers and corn on the cob – all done on the grill (except the corn), which he does marvelously (he is an excellent cook), I rinsed the dishes and handed them to him to put in the dishwasher. He stepped in front of me to re-rinse the dishes. I hadn’t rinsed them well enough.

“What is the point of using a dishwasher if you are going to do all the work yourself?” I asked.

He doesn’t trust the dishwasher to do the job. Which is rather odd when you consider he is a lover of technology. There are five remotes on the coffee table as we speak and I think he has more hidden away.

He insisted on washing the stockpot we used for boiling the corn. Me, I would have just put it away as it was. It had held nothing but water and then corn for two minutes. But no, it had to be washed. Water to wash water. Whatever.

I can’t set a glass down for two seconds without him grabbing it to put in the sink. The man folds t-shirts better than the clerks at the Gap. Even his messiness is organized. He folds his dirty clothes in the laundry basket. He rinses his recyclables. Por quoi? I ask, as I toss my dirty cans into the recycling bin behind my house. (Sometimes, just to mess with him, I throw aluminum into his trash.)

Honestly, there are times when it looks like he has just a little bit of the Queer Eye going for him, especially when you consider how nicely he dresses, but he’s 100% straight. He just has the neat freak gene in him. My college boyfriend (also an engineer) had it and way worse – he used to group all his pencils in one bunch and the pens in another and made sure the points were going the same way. He, too, was completely straight. I’m not complaining. I’ve never thought slobbiness was a sign of manliness. There are hundreds of women who would trade with me in a second. I know I’m lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment