Friday, March 19, 2010

Don`t look a gift horse in the mouth

posted Sun, 11 Jun 2006

I could wrap up a ten-year old phone book and give it to my friend Leigh and still get this scene:

Me: [hand gift to Leigh}

Leigh: [takes gift with both hands] “For me?!”

[Opens gift very slowly and carefully. When she sees what is actually inside, gasps and doesn’t speak for several seconds, then looks up at me. How did I know that this was the one thing that she has been wanting her entire life? Gasps.]

“Thank you! Oh. My. Gosh. I love this! I have wanted a ten-year-old phone book for ages! You are so wonderful!”

It is fun to give presents to Leigh.

Compare this to how SH and his friend Doug give presents to each other. They have been best friends since high school.

SH: [tears paper off present]: “Oh! A chrome paper towel stand!”

Doug: “Yeah. I noticed you needed one the last time I visited.”

(I’m impressed with his powers of observation, not that you had to be too observant to see the three rolls of paper towels on the kitchen counter. I nagged SH about it enough, though, that he finally installed a paper towel rack under the cabinet a couple of months ago.)

SH: “Yeah, but I already…”

Me: “It’s just great! It’s just what he needed!”

SH: “Yes, it’s nice, but I…”

Me: [shooting daggers with my eyes at SH] “It’s perfect! He needs one of those!”

SH: “But I…”

Me: [Glaring] “But you need a place for your paper towels!”

SH later just had to spill the beans to Doug and tell him that he already had put a cheap plastic paper towel rack under the counter. Doug shrugged and said, “I don’t give a rip if you already have one.”

Men are different.

No comments:

Post a Comment