Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Gift of the Magi


posted Mon, 21 Aug 2006

SH is the hardest person in the world to shop for. He already has every gadget in the world. He buys CDs regularly. He collects watches, clocks, and old phones, but I don’t know enough about any of them to buy them for him. He already has his sports supplies. He’s a wine guy, but I don’t know enough about wine to feed his habit. I did get him a neat antique corkscrew last year – another oenophile friend collects them – but SH wasn’t excited.

If he sees something he likes, he buys it for himself. There is no such thing as delayed gratification in his world, so if we are out together and something catches his eye, he is apt to jump on it immediately.

I don’t trust people who don’t like cats. What’s not to like about a kitty?
Source: http://home.att.net/~stephen821/cats/cats/monkeyhand.jpg

What’s a girlfriend to do?

Yesterday, we were at an art fair. In one booth, a photo of a big-eyed kitten caught SH’s eye. It was a mesmerizing photo – a little gray, blue-eyed kitten staring at the camera – and SH kept returning to it. He’s a cat lover, which is a sign of a good person as far as I’m concerned.

Knowing there was no way I could buy it for him then, I snuck back to the photographer and asked if she had a website. She told me how to order a copy and I had it all figured out.

Five minutes later, SH said, “I like this. I’m going to buy it.”

Curses! Foiled again! “Maybe you should wait,” I suggested, trying to buy time until Christmas. “She’ll be at some other art fairs this fall.”

“No! I never get myself anything I want!” [What?! He of the 85 blue shirts? And the gajillion CDs?]

I rolled my eyes and followed him to the cashier stand. It’s going to be the Beevis and Butthead Electric Toothbrush this year, I guess. I’m out of options.

No comments:

Post a Comment