Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Greetings, dittoheads!

posted Sun, 08 Jan 2006

You guys knew that if you request a song from a piano player or a band or a DJ at a bar or club that it is considered good form to tip, right?

At the least, you are far more likely to get your request played if you tip.

This is Paul. He played “You Dropped a Bomb on Me” for me, even though I didn’t tip him – just because he liked me. Most of the music he plays is fun stuff – disco and pop from the 70s and 80s – what’s not to like? Who cares if most of the people in the club weren’t even born yet when the music was originally released?

But no. Paul, SH’s DJ friend, said that the whiney youth of today demand that he play this song or that song, complain that they missed it when they were in the bathroom, then demand that he play it again.

“I don’t care about their stupid birthday or anniversary or bachelorette party,” he said.

“Don’t they tip?” I asked naively.

“Tip?” he snorted. “Ha! These 22-year-olds are part of the entitlement generation! They think they should have everything given to them! When I was their age, I worked three jobs. Bunch of lazy brats. But on New Year’s Eve, this guy – he was about 50 – gave me 20 bucks to play ‘867-5309.’ You can bet I played it right away.”

SH leaned over to me. “In case you haven’t figured it out, Paul’s a conservative.”

“I know,” I told him. “We already gave each other the secret handshake.”

No comments:

Post a Comment