Wednesday, March 17, 2010

I consider myself warned

posted Tue, 09 May 2006

Company X is cheap. They want to interview me in Milwaukee, but don’t want to pay for a hotel. “Ideally, we would fly you in and out of Milwaukee the same day,” they wrote.

They didn’t even call me. Don’t want to spend any money on that phone. OK, OK, I’m an emailer, too. It’s easy, it’s convenient.

But the one-day thing. That means they want me on the earliest flight possible, which is probably at 6:00 a.m., which means I’m up at 3:30 a.m., which means I’m already wiped out by the time I get there. It also means that I don’t get any time to look around the city (supposing I didn’t already know the city – they don’t know that).

Any other time I’ve had out-of-town interviews, they have flown me in the night before and put me up for the night. You know – so I can be well rested for the interview. With Ryder, they even had me spend a weekend so I could tour around Miami and see if I liked the city. The job was hellish but the interview was good. Nine years ago, I had an interview with FedEx. They flew me to Memphis the night before. We had dinner, then the interviews the next day.

This one-day thing is cheap, cheap, cheap. Between that and SAP (“How do you feel about long hours and tight deadlines?”), I am getting very bad vibes about this company.

No comments:

Post a Comment