Monday, March 15, 2010

I`m good enough, I`m smart enough, and doggone it, people like me

posted Mon, 01 May 2006

At the excellent Pink Martini concert Saturday night, when the bandleader, Thomas Lauderdale, took the stage to play “Rhapsody in Blue,” SH and I turned to each other with one thought between our two minds:

“Al Franken has an evil twin!”

Thomas Lauderdale and Al Franken -- Separated at birth?
Source: http://chatterbox.typepad.com/portlandarchitecture/memorial-coliseum/

Well, I didn’t think of an “evil” twin, because that would have been redundant (OK – he’s not evil, but plain wrong when it comes to politics, although very funny otherwise), but when Thomas came bounding onto stage, we both thought we were seeing Franken’s Mini-Me.

I tell ya, though, the guy can play piano.

Even if he is totally affected while he does it. Such drama! Such flourish! Even the members of the Memphis Symphony, who played with the band, were watching him with raised eyebrows.

I read about Thomas in the program and then on the band’s website. He founded the band “to play at political fundraisers for progressive causes such as civil rights, affordable housing, clean water, and public broadcasting.”

“I’m glad he’s one of yours!” I whispered to SH, who is a liberal/libertarian, but who is becoming convinced on some issues where he is seeing actual data, like Cuba, that perhaps his team is not exactly right. Ha. No pun intended, but it was a good one, wasn’t it?

Here’s the thing, though. “Clean water” is a progressive cause? First of all, is there a problem with dirty water in the US? As in, is there tap water in the US that is not drinkable? I was not aware of that. Do we have an unsafe water supply? I have lived and traveled in the third world in places where I didn’t even dare brush my teeth with the tap water. I have never had such a fear in the US. But you know, I don’t know everything, even though this might appear to be the case to you readers. I just sound very wise and all knowing.

And if we do, I was not aware that it was a “progressive” issue to want clean water. Does that mean that the evil conservatives want dirty water? “Bwahahahahaha! Let them drink Coca-Cola,” the industrialist fat cats laugh while the thirsty childrens, they die of dehydration. Why yes! That’s it! It’s all a big capitalist plot to sell bottled water. It’s all clear to me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment