Monday, March 15, 2010

Knight in shining armor

posted Sat, 29 Apr 2006

I woke up this morning to find an email from SH. He found a last-minute cheap fare from Milwaukee to Memphis and is coming here this afternoon to fix my washer and my dryer. (Maybe he’ll take care of the leaky shower while he’s at it.) He’s even going to rent a car so I don’t have to pick him up or take him to the airport early Monday morning.

The only thing I have to do is go to the Sears parts center to get the annoy-me motor or whatever the heck it’s called. I ordered it to be mailed to me because the parts center is about 25 miles from my house and I didn’t feel like driving that far, but if I can have someone install it for me, I’ll sure go get it and send back the one that comes next week courtesy of the USPS.

SH wrote that I could install the belt on the dryer if I wanted to have the pleasure of accomplishment and have something to write about, but you know, I just don’t feel like building any character right now. I don’t want to accomplish anything. I really wanted to have a lazy weekend with no challenges. I’ve had enough this week, what with the University of Texas telling me that there was a big security breach in their database and that my social security number and other personal information might have been stolen and I might want to put fraud alerts in with the credit bureaus and with finding out that someone has mistakenly listed my phone number as having something to do with civil aviation so I keep getting (OK, two, I’ve gotten two so far) phone calls asking about that.

(But it will get worse – Dun & Bradstreet accidentally listed my number at IP as the main number for International Paper – a company that at the time had over 100,000 employees, and for a year and a half, I got the phone calls asking to speak to the “person in charge of purchasing waste-removal services” and the like. I know of what I speak.)

I want to sit on the swing on my front porch and read a good book. In clean clothes.

So I am going to drive out to almost Nashville and get this darn part (it’s only $15, which is why I’m not buying a new washing machine just yet, although I am taking that suggestion under advisement – it’s my plan B) and then I am going to let SH do all the work. While I sit on the front porch.

Unless he is one of those guys who needs to be admired while he repairs. He might be. Most men are. If he is, it’s a small price to pay. I’ll gladly do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment