Thursday, March 4, 2010

Looking for a job is a full-time job -- they say

posted Sat, 28 Jan 2006

Unemployment has turned out to be a lot more time consuming than I thought it would be. And not with the goofing off things I’d planned to do, like going to the movies or meeting friends for lunch. Heck, not even with the house things I’d planned to do, like organizing the attic and cleaning the blinds. And definitely not with serious things like finding a new job – I’m still in denial about losing the one I had and in total fear that it will take me 18 months to find a new one like it did last time I was unemployed. I’d just rather not think about that, thank you very much.

I have not gone to the movies or lunch (well, not hardly), cleaned the attic or the blinds, or looked for a new job. No, I have been too busy. Where is all my time going? How is it leaking away? After all, I worked 50 hours a week when I had a job. Shouldn’t I now have an extra 50 hours a week at my disposal?

When I realized I wasn’t enjoying the long hours of boredom I had anticipated, I did an in-depth analysis. There is probably some special term for it that I learned in business school – Pareto or fishbone or some other obscure name – but I can’t remember. I made a list of everything I was doing every day. Upon close, MBA inspection, the problem soon became apparent.

Here’s what my daily routine looks like. Some of these are not done every day, of course:

*Sleep in until the totally lazy hour of 6:30 a.m. (When I was working, I got up at 4:50. I was at work by 7:30)
Check email (don’t necessarily answer it)
Read the paper online
Check the stats on my site
Read my favorite blogs
Check usaa.com to see how big my Visa bill and how small my checking account are getting. Worry.
Eat breakfast
*Go to boot camp
*Do the dishes and any other housework
Check monster.com for a huge salary job where they are looking for someone exactly like moi
Answer emails
*Shower
Think about what to write for day’s post, start draft
Order prescription refills from caremark.com
Look on eBay for anything interesting
Pay utility, newspaper, credit card and phone bill on usaa.com
Renew library books online
Call city to complain about trashy neighbors leaving garbage bin on sidewalk
*Go to grocery store

Once I did the analysis, it was clear. All the things on this list are things I did when I had a job. “What’s your point?” you’re asking.

Everything on this list, except for the items with an asterisk, are things I did at work. I did all of this stuff during the 50 hours a week that I thought would revert to me. Dang. No wonder they eliminated my position! I made it look too easy! I was getting my job done in almost no time! That’s what happens when you’re as good as I am.

Except now I have to spend so much time on these chores that I don’t have time to goof off.

No comments:

Post a Comment