Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ooops! I did it again!

posted Mon, 16 Jan 2006

It usually takes three months for the weirdness to come out in a relationship. That’s always been my rule of thumb. People can keep a lid on their bizarreness only so long and three months is the limit for most folks.

Serious Honey lasted only two months.

Quelle dilemma! The man ran – literally ran as in put one foot in front of the other at a very fast pace – to the florist to get me stargazer lilies and tulips this morning and put them in the crystal vases he got me for Christmas. Reasons to keep him. But he owns Britney Spears CDs and is not even ashamed. What to do. What to do.

But, as he pointed out, ours has been an accelerated relationship in most other ways. Why should this be any different?

What is this weirdness, you ask? A weirdness that has threatened the very foundations of this relationship – I might have to break up with him over this, it’s that bad.

SH and I have similar taste in music. At the least, if you were going to make a Venn diagram of our tastes, there would be a big intersect with only a little bit of area where we don’t coincide. And even the areas where we don’t coincide (I like country music, he doesn’t), it’s not a case of either of us despising the music the other likes or not respecting the other for liking the music.

Until now.

SH was playing a mix CD and a song came on that I had never heard but the lyrics sounded familiar. “Not yet a woman, but no more a child,” or something like that. I had heard of the words. Yes, I am totally embarrassed that I know these things, but if you spend enough time in line at the grocery store thumbing through People magazine, you pick up on this stuff.

“Is that Britney Spears?” I asked in horror.

“Uh huh,” he answered absently.

Not even a trace of shame in his voice. Not one drop.

“You have a Britney Spears song on your CD?”

“Well, I didn’t make this CD,” he explained. “But I do like this song.”

“You like Britney Spears? You are admitting to this?”

“I like pop music,” he shrugged. “I have some Britney Spears CDs at home. Yes, I like her.”

“You know this means I have to break up with you, right?”

Rolled eyes. “It could be worse. I could like some headbanger band, like Crocus or, or, or….”

He couldn’t think of anything worse. Neither could I. Britney Spears! Honestly!

No comments:

Post a Comment