Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Summer days drifting away

posted Mon, 26 Jun 2006

I feel as if I’m on summer vacation.

Really.

Unemployment is that good.

Yes, I know I’m very lucky that I got a great severance package and that I have been thrifty throughout the years (some would say “stingy”), but whatever the reason, I am not forced to find employment right away for financial reasons. And I decided not to file for unemployment. I just can’t bear the idea. Maybe if I really needed the money, but I don’t.

I had thought boredom might drive me to finding a job faster, but I haven’t really gotten bored yet. There are too many books to read, too many friends to see, too much blogging to do.

I am still looking for a job and I have some hints for companies: if you have a website, post job openings on it. This is the 21st century. Don’t play coy, either, and give the phone number and snail mail address of the HR department. That’s as good as saying you don’t want people to apply for jobs. Either post the openings or don’t bother to play in cyberspace.

Oh. And if you do have the openings listed and have a search field for location, don’t make me scroll through a list of every country in the world, including Burundi, Cyprus, Laos, and the Turks and Caicos before I get to the United States. You’re a US company with US operations. It is OK to have “United States” at the top of the list. No one in this country will think any less of you for doing so.

Another suggestion – if you want someone to do English-Spanish translation and to do it properly, you’re going to have to pay more than $10/hr. Just a thought. I saw that one and decided I’d rather be unemployed.

I did go to a temp agency last week, thinking I should be responsible and find a way to fill the empty spaces with a revenue-generating activity. They wanted me to take a bilingual customer-service position that would last three to four weeks, starting today. SH and I are going to England in a few weeks (he has a business trip and is taking me with him – I like this kept woman thing), so I told them I could only give them two weeks – would that be OK? Nope. Wouldn’t work.

I was relieved. Leigh, Lindley and her kids and I are going to a “pick your own” blueberry place tomorrow. If I’d been working, I wouldn’t have been able to go! But I wouldn’t have felt I could turn down a job for just to go blueberrying for one afternoon.

I am also helping Lindley clean out her attic and her garage. It’s a lot more fun to organize a friend’s attic than your own.

I have to meet some friends for lunch tomorrow – a friend who just quit IP for a job that is paying him – get this – 40% more than IP paid. Yes.

So you see, I don’t have time to work. It would cramp my style. Maybe when school starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment