Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A hard day at the office

posted Sun, 01 Oct 2006

SH is reading a book by a guy who says that prostitution should be legal. SH agrees with him. “It’s a victimless crime,” he says. “It’s like women who dance topless. It doesn’t hurt anyone.”

“It’s not,” I say. “It’s degrading and reduces sex to a commodity and human beings to a commodity and the women who do it are probably drug addicts and have no other choices. I bet women don’t pick hooking because they have better options.”

Would I have to start smoking?
Source: http://www.sergent.com.au/sailorstory.jpg

“Besides,” I ask, “I’ll bet you would think differently of me if you found out I had danced topless – not that anyone would have ever hired me for that job – to put myself through college.”

He protested that it wouldn’t change his opinion of me one bit.

“Baloney. What if you found out that a woman colleague – another engineer – had been a stripper? You’re telling me that it wouldn’t affect your opinion of her at all?”

He was steadfast. “Nope. Why wouldn’t a woman choose to make money that way for college?”

“Because it’s degrading. You’re selling your flesh is why. And I’m not saying that out of envy just because I don't have the figure for it. It’s not respectable. You’d spend the rest of your life trying to hide your past.”

“Well, it’s not the same as prostitution, but prostitution still doesn’t hurt anyone.”

“Oh? What about the women who get beat up by their johns? Or their pimps? They don’t get hurt? What about the utter degradation of the job? If they’re not drug addicts when they start hooking, I’ll bet it doesn’t take long for them to develop the habit.”

“It’s what they’ve chosen. They should be allowed to choose it if they want. It should be legal. And not all prostitutes are in that situation. There are plenty of expensive call girls who make a lot of money at it.”

“Really?” I asked. “So you think that’s OK?”

“Yes,” he answered. “If that’s what they want.”

“So how do I sign up?”

“What?”

“How do I get into that line of business? The expensive call girl kind? If there’s a lot of money to be made in it, I’m interested. I’m unemployed. I could do the job as well as anyone else. And you think it’s a legitimate occupation.”

Long pause. “I’d really rather not be in a relationship with someone who’s a prostitute.”

But it’s just another job.

No comments:

Post a Comment