Thursday, April 29, 2010

Trying to catch flies with vinegar

posted Mon, 01 Jan 2007

4:56 Four minutes before I am supposed to clock out. Phone rings.

Me: Good afternoon, The Sto—

Woman, agitated: I want to talk to the manager of women’s!

Me: OK, I’ll transfer you.

4:58 Phone rings again

Me: Good afterno—

Same woman, seething: I want to talk to the store manager!

Me: Ma’am, I’ll need to send you through my manager.

Woman: Is it that man?

Me: Yes, ma’am.

Woman: Well, he hung up on me.

Me [Charlie hung up on her? Then I remember that his cellphone battery is running down and the call I had with him earlier got cut off.]: Ma’am, his phone has been cutting out today.

Woman: Well, that may or may not be true, but that’s not my problem, is it? You get me the store manager or the corporate office and I mean right now. [Incidentally, the corporate office is in California. And probably not open on New Year's Day. Just a hunch.]

Me: Ma’am, let me find that extension for you. [I hold the phone in the air while I decide I really don’t care much about someone who is practically screaming at me and calling me a liar, especially while I have a nice customer standing in front of me. I take my time.]

Me: Ma’am, that extension is x1234 in case this call doesn’t go through right away.

Woman [threatening]: If it doesn’t go through, I’ll be calling you back.

5:02 I finish with the customers in my line and clock out before anyone else shows up. As I am walking to the storeroom to get my coat, the phone rings. I ignore it.

5:04 As I walk out of the storeroom, Tomeka is answering the phone. I see her roll her eyes, transfer the call and hang up.

Me: Was that the angry lady?

Tomeka: Yeah. She wanted to talk to the store manager, but I don’t think Belinda is even here today. I sent her to Charlie. She want to talk to the corporate office, she can look the number up in the phone book herself. I don’t have time to mess with people who be yelling at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment