Thursday, May 20, 2010

Fashion savant

posted Thu, 21 Jun 2007

I’m invited to a bridal shower this weekend. I am looking forward to it because I am very happy for my friend and there is usually pretty good food at this sort of thing. I am concerned, however, about one thing – what to wear.

This is the big dilemma in Memphis (and the rest of the south, although Memphis is not real south because it’s a river city, but for this issue – proper attire – Memphis is South).

I understand purses and shoes just fine. It’s the clothes and makeup that are a challenge.
(This is a Hallmark Fresh Ink card.)

And in the South, there are Rules.

Rules that I, as a transplant from Texas (not really The South) with Midwestern origins, do not know. And they don’t give you a handbook when you move here, either.

I have been to several bridal showers here before (including the one where dogs peed on the presents), but still have not broken the code.

I know that you arrive almost on time – maybe ten minutes after the stated time – if you want to be fashionable. I know that you take a present (duh). I know you have to play the stupid games.

What I don’t know is what to wear.

Not jeans – I tried that at a Junior League meeting once and realized very quickly that the mood of the crowd was getting ugly. Everyone else was dressed sorority-girl cute and had Accessories. I had run home from work, changed into jeans and was sitting through a stupid boring meeting wondering what these girls did all day that they had so much time to spend on their hair, clothes and makeup.

Not work clothes. Not church clothes. Not date clothes. I know all of them are not right, but I don’t know what is correct. And I wouldn’t want to spend the money on it, even if I did know what was right.

I can’t afford the right wardrobe to live here. I need to move where people are slo- more casual.

No comments:

Post a Comment