Tuesday, June 1, 2010

"This one has pineapples -- it`s staying"

posted Mon, 03 Sep 2007

SH and I just completed the emotionally exhausting task of sorting through his closet to choose shirts to send to Goodwill. He pulled out each shirt and evaluated it – the long-sleeved shirts (which consists of argyle shirts, striped shirts, plaid shirts, and funky pattern shirts), the polo shirts (same subcategories as long-sleeved shirts), the short-sleeved shirts (same subcategories as long-sleeved shirts), and the shirts that went out of style ten years ago but might come back in. Someday.

After several spirited, friendly discussions (“I don’t care if you don’t like the color/style/sleeve length, I’m keeping it”), SH selected 39 shirts out of more than 100 to be donated. Some of the decisions were difficult, but became easier when I pointed out that somewhere, there is a poor man who can afford to shop only at Goodwill who would be perfectly happy to wear that band-collar shirt that SH hadn’t worn for almost ten years.

As I was folding them, SH asked, “Are you folding those because you love me?”

“No,” I answered. “I’m folding them so you don’t have a chance to change your mind.”

I’m hoping to work on the t-shirts and the shoes before 2008, but I am not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment