Sunday, June 20, 2010

Why wasn`t I born rich #3,273

posted Mon, 01 Oct 2007

I do not know how you working people do it. Working stinks. I mean it. It’s a drag and it’s boring and it makes you tired. Why do people do this again?

Today I started a two-week temp job. Yay because I need money (unfortunately, working with Lindley has not made me rich), boo because I would rather be at home, eating bon-bons and watching soap operas. No, I don’t have a TV, but you know what I mean.

What I want to know is how someone (my temp boss’ predecessor) ran a group for ten years and never filed. I’m talking about six years’ worth of vendor statements stacked on the credenza. Drawers full of mashed copies of emails (no date, no subject – what customer was this about again?). Random items paperclipped or rubber banded together. Handwritten notes. Vendor contact names and phone numbers from 1998. Yeah, Cathy Jones in Receivables is surely still there.

So I spent all day sorting through papers, trying to understand this industry. (I can’t tell you what it is – I signed a confidentiality agreement. I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.) All I got out of it was a lot of paper cuts, but then, that means there was a lot of paper, which is what everyone needs to use so I’ll have a pension some day. (Trees are a crop – repeat after me – Trees are a crop.)

I’m ready to retire. This is too hard and it cuts into my interweb time.

No comments:

Post a Comment