Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sinecure

posted 07/19/08

My new hairdresser*: So what do you do?

Me: I used to have a corporate job, but now I stay at home.

HD: Hmm.

Me: When I was working, I would hear these women at the gym – stay-at-home wives – who would complain about how bored they were and I would want to slap them and ask, “Do you think I work as a hobby?”

HD: Uh-huh.

Me: So when I figured out that I all I had to do now was clean the house, cut the grass, buy the groceries, cook, do the laundry and change the sheets – all the things I was doing anyhow, plus working 60 hours a week – I asked, Where do I sign up?

* It took me three and a half months to find someone with a haircut I liked enough to ask her for her hairdresser’s number. Three and a half months. We are in the mullet capital of the world and I don’t mean the fish. I pointed that out to HD, noting that these women don’t even seem to be lesbians – they just have the haircut. HD said, “Yes, in West Allis, they like the haircut. The lesbians are all on the east side.”

No comments:

Post a Comment